By David Bradshaw,Kevin J. H. Dettmar
- An crucial source for college kids and lecturers of modernist literature and culture
- Broad in scope and entire in coverage
- Includes greater than 60 contributions from essentially the most wonderful modernist students on either side of the Atlantic
- Brings jointly entries on components of modernist tradition, modern highbrow and aesthetic pursuits, and the entire genres of modernist writing and art
- Features 25 essays at the sign texts of modernist literature, from James Joyce’s Ulysses to Zora Neal Hurston’s Their Eyes have been observing God
- Pays shut recognition to either British and American modernism
Read or Download A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary modernism criticism books
The 'transnational' flip has reworked modernist reviews, demanding Western authority over modernism and positioning race and racial theories on the very centre of the way we now comprehend glossy literature. Modernism and Race examines relationships among racial typologies and literature within the past due 19th and early 20th centuries, drawing on fin de siécle models of anthropology, sociology, political technological know-how, linguistics and biology.
What occurs while a critique of modernity -- a "revolt opposed to the traditions of the Western global" -- is positioned inside a non-European context, the place the idea that of the trendy has been necessarily tied to identical to the West? Seiji M. Lippit o
Reframing Yeats, the 1st severe examine of its sort, strains the ancient improvement of W. B. Yeats's writings around the genres, studying his poetry, autobiographical writings, feedback, and drama with a similar serious research. whereas present experiences of Yeats's paintings choose from a biographical orientation or a formalist method, Armstrong's examine combines the idea of recent Historicism and Hermeneutics: a theoretical strategy that takes Yeatsian scholarship one step additional.
Named after a small local in London the place its participants settled as teens, the Bloomsbury team produced a powerful physique of labor that yielded British Post-Impressionist portray, literary modernism, the sphere of macroeconomics, and a brand new course for public style in artwork. This significant other bargains a accomplished consultant to the highbrow and social contexts surrounding Bloomsbury and its coterie, which include author Virginia Woolf, economist Maynard Keynes, and artwork critic Roger Fry, between others.
- Literary Passports: The Making of Modernist Hebrew Fiction in Europe (Stanford Studies in Jewish History and C)
- Writing the Love of Boys: Origins of Bishonen Culture in Modernist Japanese Literature
- Samuel Beckett and Cinema (Historicizing Modernism)
- Bloomsbury, Modernism, and the Reinvention of Intimacy
- Modernism, Inc.: Body, Memory, Capital (Cultural Front)
- The Pathos of Distance: Affects of the Moderns
Extra info for A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by David Bradshaw,Kevin J. H. Dettmar